2008-08-07

A Flat Ocean and No Wind...Perfect for Summer Vacationers!

Its August on the OBX, and the month is notorious for offering the least amount of wind over the course of the year. I currently have two 5.3m SW marks in the calendar for the first two days of the month, however since then we have been locked in a windless hot, and humid weather pattern. The ocean has been quite flat as well with hardly a wave to be found. For "regular" Outer Banks summer visitors, these conditions are near perfect for a day of hanging out and enjoying the beach.

One saving grace, given our poor surf/sail action conditions, has been the unusually clear water. The visibility has been excellent, and I have been snorkeling at the USS Huron shipwreck over the past weekend. The wreck is located about 200 yards offshore and about the same distance north of the Nags Head Fishing Pier. With a two seat ocean kayak, its a paddle out to the wreck, anchoring to the wreck marker buoy, suiting up with the snorkeling gear, and jumping in! The wreck is located in about 12 feet of water, though this summer it is mostly covered with sand. There are a few elements of the wreck which remain above the sand and host an assortment of sea urchins, barnacles, and small fish. Last time I was out, I forgot my camera, but if I go again this weekend, I will be sure to snap some under water shots to complement this post. Its not coral reef diving, but for the OBX, its a tiny hint of it. Too bad so much of the ship is buried this summer.

There are many ship wrecks along the coast of the Outer Banks, and if you are into diving or snorkeling, August so far has offered perfect conditions for viewing the the underwater scene. Stay tuned for some pics, if the clear visibility holds?!

5 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A flat August is a bit discouraging to wave enthusiasts, but expected. Hopefully Mother Nature sends some swell our way soon. Thanks for pointing out the location of the wreck.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Yeah I should dust off the ol' mask and fins. I saw someone spearfishing at the pier last night while we were "surfing." Looks like fun!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger 0ldblu3 said...

I just got back from vacation out there and I was impressed by the water as well. No wind, no waves, but the water was so clear, I'd never seen that on a NC beach. Coming back in October for the wind.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Waterturtle said...

Hey Bill, I would love to see some pics from a wreck dive....I hope you get some clear shots, Mac

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jamie W said...

Can't wait to see some pics. I will be there on Sat. and can't wait to explore some wrecks from the beach. Thx for your wonderful description!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home