2009-06-28

The Pre-Wavesailing Diet

The fuel we feed our bodies definitely has an immediate impact on our windsurfing sessions. I used to experience stiff calf cramps, and other fatigue prior to, during, and after returning from the water. Following some trial and error, I have come up with a working diet which keeps my body powered though any wave sesh, maximizing duration on the water! This diet has been honed throughout my years of windsurfing both from experience and advice from others. I have tested it in all conditions ranging from bitter cold heavy wetsuit weather, to warm trunks only summer-time fun. Results are always the same, and if I miss the diet, I usually feel some sort of pain.

Bill's Wave Sesh Power Diet:
1) 1 Dannon Yogurt or "drinkable" version (these work best for consumption while driving south from Nags Head to Avon);
2) 2 ripe bananas;
3) 2 8oz V8 veggie juice drinks;
4) 1 king sized Snickers candy bar;
5) 1 quart of water (consumed though the course of the day);
6) 1 6 inch turkey and cheese sub (optional);
7) a few cold brews of choice ("usually" reserved until after the sesh, unless hanging with the Ride crew!);


Everything but the quart of water, and beer (depending upon sesh peers?!) should be consumed before launching into the surf.

I used to include Gatorade prior to V8s, but decided to cut out some of the high fructose corn syrup. Gatorade is also simply bad for your teeth.

4 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger cammar said...

Here's mine:
- a sandwich (whole grain wheat bread) with freshly grinded peanut and almond butter (usually available at health food stores) and honey
- fresh fruits
- water

It's always better not to eat just before exercise, but when you exercise all day... sooner or later you have to eat! ;)

Stay away from food not available in nature as is (like that chocolate bar), is my tip.
I'm looking for a substitute for bread, but haven't found one yet.
Have fun in baja!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger PeconicPuffin said...

I'd need to space that out over time!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Yea, the 45 min drive from Nags Head to Avon gives me plenty of time to "fuel" up with the diet in preparation for a wave sesh "down south!"

Unfortunately, its been a "while" since my last Avon run!

Will we see a strong Bermuda High this summer?!

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about ACAI BERRY JUICE for energy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home