2007-09-24

GoPro Mounting Options

I recently received an email regarding how I mount the GoPro to my windsurfing rig. Last time I was sailing, I snapped a few photos of the primary mounts I use.

click to enlargeThis first photo is the standard mast mount. Simply use the GoPro's wrist strap to mount the camera just above the booms. I also use plumbing pipe insulation foam as both a shock absorber, and padding to be able to tighten the strap. This mount works quite well since the camera is easy to access while sailing, and you can rotate it for both shots of yourself, or views out in front of the rig. Note, since this mount is above the boom, it sits high and can make conditions appear "smaller" than they are, especially in the waves. You can also mount the camera below the booms to give a more dramatic effect, since the view is closer to the water. Though, this angle is best for forward viewing shots only. This mounting option also does not interfere with sailing, and is quite a durable/safe spot to keep the camera.

My second mounting option is a home grown version which attaches to the boom arms, or mast top if room is available on a variable top sail. I usually mount it on the rear of the boom arms, and actually prefer it on the leeward side of the sail. The video seems more dramatic, and for aerial tricks, it provides greater perspective as compared to the windward side of the boom. The arm can be rotated vertically to enhance the angle, and the camera can be rotated horizontally as well. This is a great mount to get lots of angles/perspectives while sailing. Note to keep the mount within reach on the boom. If you mount it too far back, you will not be able to readjust while sailing.

I constructed this mount with an old "lightweight" boom head, and a straight 12-inch piece of carbon boom arm. The exposed end of the boom arm is wrapped in plumbing pipe insulation foam and duct taped in place. This adds both protection from the sharp edge of the cut boom arm, and also a wider area to prevent the camera from slipping off the arm.

One interesting perspective that I plan to explore with this mount is looking back towards the rider "through" the sail. This will be really cool next time we get some good conditions for back and fwd loops since the perspective will be from the outside, looking in while the world spins around. Also for the back loop, it should show the height since the sail is usually horizontal and the camera will be looking "down" though the sail, the rider, and to the water.

All in all, stay tuned for the next GoPro Video Report. I am still working though footage from last week, and will be posting soon. I have footage of the new angle, but conditions on Ocracoke the day I discovered it were not ideal for big jumps/aerial acrobatics.

GoPro will also be releasing a few new mounting options soon.

4 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like fun, Bill, I'm definately getting one. I have a couple of questions...For the website, are you reducing the video size?
Will it work with Quicktime, or just Windows media?
Have you had any problems with the camera?
What size SD card do you have?
Does it require lubing or replacing seals or anything?
Do you have a mount for the leading edge of a kite? >kidding ;-/
thanks for the info...can't wait.
Lane

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Lane,

Yea, I highly recommend getting one! I want to see other mugs out there other than my own having fun on the water!

As for your questions:
The GoPro records the video in avi format. I then use a video editing program to weed though the raw footage and create the movie. For the web, I create the movie in mpg format, and then use a video host (in my case, VSocial) to host the video.

I have not had any problems with the cameras, and have beat them hard with big back loop crashes and rinse cycles in the Hatteras soup. No leaks or breaks. The waterproof housing for the GoPro is near bombproof! The seal is thick and very tight, much tighter than my Canon Powershot water housing. I have to use a lot of "force" to close the GoPro which is a good thing!

I use a 2gig SD card which captures about 55 minutes of video. You could probably also now use the new 4gig SD cards which are available to capture even footage, though be sure to get a high speed card, or it will take forever to pull the data off the card! I also use NiH rechargeable batteries. GoPro recommends this type of battery for re usability, longer charge, and better performance in varying water temperatures.

Given the small size of the camera, you may be able to mount it on the kite itself?!

I am looking forward to GoPro hopefully updating the water housing lens to include a wide angle or even fish eye version. That would be great for getting more perspective in the shots while filming!

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...but are you reducing the size down from 640x480? On the gopro website, I see the race car footage in a larger format.
I hope I'm not going to have to jump through too many hoops to import into Imovie for Mac, I'll figure it out...came across this cam mount, you may have seen it:
http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2007/06/speed-demon.html
thanks/lane

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger EC said...

Are you sleeping?
Not staying current on forecast?
Sat-Sun: Low
Th-Fri: TS...

See you in the water tomorrow afternoon, low tide is at 3pm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home