2008-01-08

Learning to Fly...RC Style

Well, its winter, the water is cold, the waves are small (today), and there is no wind...what is a fun thing to do other than hiking or biking?? This Christmas, Lauren gave me a radio-controlled airplane. Specifically a ParkZone P51 Mustang. She knows that I am a fan of WWII aircraft and this plane is a great RC warbird flyer. Everything is included to get it up and in the air within minutes; though, if you know what you are doing! My first attempts were utter failures, though it was actually beneficial that I did not get the plane in the air because I would have likely completely destroyed it! Instead, it was banged up pretty bad, but repairable with some trusty packing tape.

After my initial mishaps with the P51, I decided to order a trainer plane and specifically the Hobby Zone SuperCub. This plane is fantastic for beginners, and I had it looping on its third flight! After about 5 flights with the SuperCub, I decided to try the P51 again. Successful launch and flight with no crashes!

All in all, a great activity when there is no wind, no waves, and cold water! Jockey's Ridge also provides nice terrain to fly around. Though, stay tuned for a future "unique" perspective of the surf lineup! With the GoPro attached to the undercarriage of the SuperCub, it could capture some really cool aerial footage of the surf action?!

Here is a video of "Learning to Fly:"

8 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Andy said...

That looks super fun! I remember GS used to start foaming at the mouth whenever someone would ask him about his gliders... Definitely a good hobby for the no/light wind/rest days! Although your neck muscles will get ripped if you keep flying that thing!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Hey Andy! Heard it's been Vermonts snowiest December in 30+ years. You catching any of it??? Spent the New Years weekend in Upstate NY and had over 16 inches in two days. It's not wavesailing but it is good to switch it up every now and then

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Ronnie Roach said...

Bill,

Your wife rocks. She is a keeper. What a cool gift idea. I think you ought to invite fellow blogger's kids to fly your toys...

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Ronnie Roach said...

Bill,

My youngest son Jon just watched your video and he definitely wants to fly your plane. He thinks your are really cool - his comments exactly:

Awe do I really get to - awesome.

How can you turn down such a cute kid.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Ronnie! Yea she always gets the best gifts! Last year it was a handheld GPS unit! This year, an RC plane!

Glad to hear your son enjoyed the video! If the wind is light, the surf is flat, and the water is cold there is a good possibility I am flying behind Jockey's Ridge! Usually on my "lunch" hour or before sunset!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Yeah Charles! I got skunked for about 4 winters in a row up there, now I decide to stay in Hatteras and they get epic conditions!! Figures! I was up there around New Years for a sledding and skiing bender, first time in snow in 21 months... needless to say I couldn't really walk for three days after hitting sugarbush with friends. Luckily two of those painful days were spent driving back to HI through snow, fog, rain and holiday traffic. A normally 15 hour drive ended up taking about 25 hours! It felt good to sit, my legs needed a rest anyway... I agree, it is good to switch it up every now and then. I think I'll go try kiteboarding again! Anyway glad to hear you caught some too before the big thaw that they're getting now!

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill - you fly better than you dance!! That last landing view from the gopro looked like moon landing footage! Awesome! I think you should enter the super cub in the June FWD Loop Fest! Ground loop! I agree with Ronnie, Lauren has great gift giving skills! I wonder if Tony could deliver packages in a P-51?

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

tmflyr is Todd R. from Pittsburgh - hey Bill and Lauren!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home