2008-05-20

Couple of BIG SW Wind Days!

SW has been raging across the OBX with plenty of time for 3.7m sails! Both today and this past Sunday experienced mirror gale force SW wind, sunny skies, and storm clouds remaining to the west. The only drawback was the lack of sizable surf, but with all the wind, and the outside sand bar at the Point, there were plenty of jumps and loops amongst the heavy chop both on the inside and outside. The only relatively smooth water was found in the wave zone! Jim, Keith, and I hit it both days, while today we were joined by Dan, Caleb, Olaf, Roland, and Roland's friend. Small sails, small waves, and big jumps!

UPDATE: 5/22/2008
A few photos shot by "windsurfing" Wendy from Tuesday at the Point:

Visiting from Switzerland, Wendy and Roland's friend Martin hanging upside down!


Olaf P throwing some cutback spray!


Bill B mid-loop with Keith M working backside on the wave!

Today, I also finished off the day with a quick session at Ego Beach. After bumping around in the chop at the Point, I found some smooth inside waves at Ego which were quite fun! Plenty of power on the inside since the wind was so strong! Lots of smooth bottom turns and top cutbacks on the south swell peelers! I sailed solo until the storm weather finally approached around 5:30pm.

All in all, a fun couple of very windy SW days!

Here is the video shot Sunday. Basically, the same video showcases conditions today as well. Only difference was that today there were more sailors on the water, and no hiking fisherman (you will get this reference after watching the video). Enjoy!

12 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger Waterturtle said...

Nice video! I liked the combo of GoPro sailor POV and footage from the beach...plus some mandatory footage of the dogs...nice!

How long of a hike was that for the fishermen to get where they wanted to go?

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Catapulting Aaron said...

nice backloop!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Those fishermen had to hike about 200+ yards though the protected zone before reaching the tip of Cape Point which is actually not closed off. Though, they are not supposed to be walking in that area, even in the shorebreak. I did not see them return, as as the tide came in. Not sure how they got back?!

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Bill, the NPS has permitted fishermen (for now) to go around the closures, so long as they are below the mean low tide line. That explains whey they're in the surf instead of on the beach.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger James Douglass said...

Yeah, nice backloop. And those were sweet jumps by the guy with the red Aerotech sail. Cool song, too.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Waterturtle said...

yeah...I appreciate the new music too. I found it on iTunes.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger George Markopoulos said...

Bill, your videos rock.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Thanks all!!

Yea, that song is quite cool, and when I first heard it, I thought it was perfect for high wind Hatteras oceanside windsurfing!

For more of that type of music check out the player launcher for 3WK radio listed under the Choice Advertising in the left column. 3WK is where I first heard Wolf Parade and "Shine a Light."

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great video and I always like your music selection. From Teenage fan club to Wolf parade.

I really like the mast mount angle. Did you use an old baton?

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An old batten like giampaolo?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Thanks, yea I usually try to find cool indie-style music or tracks likely not heard in the mainstream. Ironically, when all my videos got pulled from VSocial for "terms of use" violation, which I assumed related to the music used in the vids, I find it odd that through presentation of the music in the vids, blog readers actually "bought" some of the tracks because they enjoyed the music and never heard it before. As Mac noted in this thread, he picked up the Wolf Parade track on ITunes, and last fall I remember a blog commenter noting that he bought the complete Ride CD for his girlfriend because she enjoyed one of the songs used in the TS Gabrielle video. All in all, the music biz/artists are getting free exposure here (I always provide music credit), and people are buying tracks based upon what is heard here. I would love to post the vids back on VSocial or even YouTube for better exposure and/or quality, but I do not want to risk them blowing away all the vids again.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Regarding the mast top mount, I actually used the boom mount I built last year from an old boom head and cut piece of boom arm. The mount only works on a variable top sail, which I have on the 3.7m. I clamp the boom mount to the top of the mast and run it inside the adjustable sail top strap. It works well, but the weight at the top of the mast does impact the sail handling. The batten method is one I will have to explore, especially if it works on fixed top sails.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home