2009-04-23

INTENSE Action at Jockey's Ridge!

Though, where was everybody, at least those windsurfers in and around Nags Head?! JRidge served up the best high wind bump and jump conditions, arguably on the US East Coast, and I was solo out there! West to NW 35+ mph wind produces an incredible fetch which breaks in a narrow area where deep water becomes quite shallow. Some of the best bump and jump rollers found on the OBX happen just off Jockey's Ridge!

Conditions were overpowered 4.2m WNW wind gusting into the mid-40 mph range during the short window when I was out. Sunny skies generally prevailed bumping and looping in the sizable soundside swell. Very fun conditions, though pretty intense for the casual sailor. Definitely could have been on my 3.7m, but decided on the 4.2m for a little "extra strength" action!

Here's the GoPro Wide Angle video report (head strap mount)!

8 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Sea Otter said...

Doug (visiting from Mass.) and I were out all afternoon at Windmill Point. It was howling! Blowing 35 to well over 40 for hours. Both took on some serious water on a couple of falls...but no broken bones or gear! A great afternoon. I'll check JR first next time it's honking from the West.

Nick

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Cool yea I saw you all out at Windmill Pt, but I could not pass up JRidge. W and NW are excellent there for B&J due to the clean fetch, and no islands to block the swell. I highly recommend JRidge especially when conditions require a sail size below 5.0m! : )

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great session report Bill! Looks like you were having a REAL BLAST on the op 4.2 and having a ball with the GoPro video footage. Love the multiple jump sequences, sountrack rocks too! You're getting some great mileage from that one. Glad to see the head strap was tied to your wetsuit. Cant wait for our trip down to the cape May 9. Is your older 3.7 still available?

Greg W / wind_powered

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Greg!

Yep, 3.7m is still available. Likely if I had it in the truck and there were some sailors at JRidge yesterday, it might have had a new owner?! : )

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger George Markopoulos said...

looks really really good Bill. Oh man i was reading your email alerts yesterday to come out an join you, and it was torture. glad you scored, BIG TIME

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Love that song now too. Can't get it out of my head.

Curious how you load the higher resolution vid? I'm loosing a lot when I transfer my vids and then upload.

Fish Camp

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Outdrsmn said...

Wish I could view the Video. For some reason I am having problems when I visit your blog, and only your blog. Bummer!!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Outdrsmn said...

Got it to work. That looked awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home