2008-03-04

Just South of Oregon Inlet

Andy ahead of the soupToday south winds pushed into the upper teens with gusts to the mid 20 mph range. It was a little light, especially on the inside, but the waves were small making it easy to slog out. A decent south swell was on tap, and the set waves ranged in the waist to occasional chest high range. Typical mid-summer type setup, except for the icy 48 degree water temp. All in all though, there were a few fun wave hits, and two FWD loop splats for me on the outside when the occasional gust filled the sail producing a solid powered ride. Billy, Caleb, Andy, Stewart, and I enjoyed the slog fest in the 70 degree air. Sail sizes ranged in the low 5.0m range. I have over 60 minutes of video to work though from today. Stay tuned for release later this week.

More photos:

Andy about to make a hit


A shot from high up on the dune


Framed between the dunes (click image to see in high resolution)


Parked along Rt12 on Pea Island just south of Oregon Inlet. Fun spot on S wind


A brand new 2008 5.3m Maui Sails Legend!

6 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Catapulting Aaron said...

Those pictures of wavesailing framed by the dunes are ridiculous! Can you share those with us in higher resolution?

Glad to see you're out there have fun. I'm trapped in the DC 9-5 world like you once were...

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Arron,

I updated the "framed between the dunes" pic at the original higher resolution for a better view of the setup yesterday. enjoy!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Catapulting Aaron said...

Very cool -- thanks...

Quick question, Why do you ride Maui Sails? Did you demo a bunch of different types? Is that what your favorite shop sells?

Just curious how you came to the conclusion... I'm looking to update my quiver but it's all haze and marketing when you're sitting on the outside.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Aaron,

I originally rode the Maui Sails Legend in 2006 during a trip to Maui. I rented a few of the sails from HiTech, took them out at Ako Point (west end of Lanes) in overhead to logo high surf, and loved them! Upon return to the OBX, I immediately contacted Maui Sails to find out how I could get a quiver for myself. I loved the feel of the Legend in the waves, especially the stable driving power in the bottom turn. I believe the draft is higher than other wave sails forcing a "pull forward" while sailing (or at least that is what I feel as compared to other wave sails I have rode). It has a tendency to "catapult" if you are not used to it. However, for wavesailing and most aerial tricks this "pull forward" is good since it forces the sail forward thus keeping your body forward over the board. I believe it helped me in my initial FWD loop commits last year, since it got "me" into a forward position for the rotation. Also, it keeps the body weight forward for wavesailing to prevent board stall/fin loss on the bottom turn.

From a visual perspective, in 2007 and now 2008, the distinguishing "X" uniquely identifies the sail, and I like the red color option. Plus the design team at Maui Sails is one of the best in the business.

Hatteras Island Sail Shop is the local dealer for Maui Sails.

Stay tuned for an upcoming post where I will be listing my 2007 Legends for sale at a killer price!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Hey Aaron, it's true, there's a lot of marketing, buzz and hype to sort through when looking for some gear! When at all possible, it's great to try before you buy, but otherwise, any shop can help you find the right thing! Shoot me an email if you'd like some help narrowing down the options!

BTW, Bill's Legends are probably not the right sails for ya, but if you like Maui Sails, I'd point you towards the Aloha or Pursuit! Good luck!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I agree with Andy. The Legends are a pretty aggressive sail, and are best suited for advanced level sailors, especially given that "pull forward."

If Maui Sails is the choice for someone shy of "advanced" the Aloha or Pursuit are likely the best fits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home