2008-02-07

Summer Like at Ego Beach!

Well, not quite for water temps; however, the air temp and wave size was on par with typical summer conditions. Yesterday, south winds ramped up into the mid to upper 20s with gusts well into the 30s. By sunset, winds were howling in the mid 30s! The air temps were in the low 70s and the drive down to Avon was interesting around Oregon Inlet as heavy fog settled in over the cold water. All of Pea Island was blanketed in fog. Upon reaching Rodanthe/Salvo, the fog lifted and it was clear into Avon and ultimately Ego Beach.

I arrived around 2:30pm and was greeted with sunny skies and blowing sand. Andy M, Stewart, Caleb, and Billy were already on the water as I drove up to the spot on the beach. Sail sizes ranged from low 5.0s down to 4.6m. I rigged 4.7m and was well juiced most of the time. Conditions were mid-summer easy waist to chest high surf. Not too bad for the "green" wavesailors who were out there such as myself.

Here is the video which shows it better than words:

12 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Bill and Tony, thanks! I love that everyone crashed pretty hard going for something stupid! Some nice wave rides, too, considering how bad the waves were....

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger badneck said...

wow thank you for editing out my lame back loop atempt it almost looks like I made that one! Yeah man we all look like we're ripping!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Catapulting Aaron said...

awesome video, dude. Great musical selection too!

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!
Andy fucking kills it. He destroys the lip about 40 seconds into the vid. Then about 1:20 he lands one of them loops or whatever you call 'em. Finally he cranks a bunch a turns, smacks and floaters all on one wave to wrap it up. he does all the above with effortless style. Andy is the man.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhmmm ok dan how much did andy pay you?

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey anonymous did you watch the vid?
I just call it as I see it. Everyone rode well but Andy was on.
Go practice and maybe someday you can huck it like andy, anonymous.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Wo wo wo wo wo..... Slow down... Ummm thanks? But really, everyone was on fire and pushing themselves, that's why I like this vid so much. So please, Dan, I'm going to run out of money to pay you off if you keep commenting...

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with dan,andy is the next big thing on hatteras!he reminds me of a young dana miller,with those huge planning forwards or the reckless abandon at the critical sections.forget charlie,where you sailn andy!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey all, this comment thread reminds me of some good ole competition fun forth coming in the Hatteras Wave Challenge.

I have been working on the site and it is coming together nicely. Think of it as Facebook meets action sports competition! Should be cool, and interesting to see who holds to the top spots! Stay tuned!

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Andy is so close to conquering Windsurfing that he'll be laying strings on beach by the end of the summer with the likes of Trip and Ty. Ipredict he'll be bored with pole boarding by July

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes dan I did watch the vid and unlike you I was sailing that day. Yes andy is rippin'

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Andy said...

George- I got bored stringsurfing the third time I tried it, and that was 5 years ago when the kites were unruly and terrifying! All these new autopilot kites would probably put me to sleep while riding... but hey, that can be fun, too, in it's own special way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home