2008-02-28

Lauren's Costa Rica Surf Adventure

Well, in celebration of a momentous birthday (can't you tell she just
turned 21...? ...ok, well at least she looks like she might pass for
that!)....I sent Lauren off to an all girls surf camp in Costa Rica.
Here is her account of the adventure:

So, it's hard to believe it's only been a few weeks since I was back in Mal
Pais surfing the waves in 80 degree water! Another OBX local (Patty!)
and I made the long trek out to the magical spot in Costa Rica...in
search of bright sun, great waves, and the perfect way to celebrate our
birthday! We surpassed our expectations on all accounts. The water was
warm and clear, we were standing on waves by day one, and we met 8
other fabulous chicas to share the experience! One doctor, 3 nurses, a
San Francisco financier, a scholar, a witty and hip mom , an ex-pro
soccer player / computer wiz, and an artist....all bonded together like
an eclectic family from all over the US. (and we would have been
covered medically if anyone had ended up hurt!!!)

After flying from San Jose to Mal Pais on a "puddle jumper" about the
size of one of my husband's RC planes... and a bumpy and dusty van ride
through the Costa Rican countryside ...Patty and I were greeted with a
pina colada smoothie at the Pura Vida camp (called "the Place"). One
deep breath of the warm evening air....and we felt right at home. We
settled into our daily routine of early morning Yoga (in which we
learned to "om" and turn into pretzels)....then a wonderful
breakfast...followed by a 3 hour morning surf session. The afternoons
were lunch (the food was fantastic), siestas in the hammock, soothing
massages....followed by an afternoon/sunset surf session. Then back to
clean up...perhaps a dip in the pool...some cocktails and an evening
with the girls! The rhythm of life was easy in Mal Pais! Between the
"rigorous" schedule ...we managed to fit in an afternoon Canopy
Tour...zip lining through the forest at break neck speed... catching
barracuda (and another fish to remain unmentioned - girls), breaking a
few hearts (ie: "Alfredo" and "Patty's dog"), and making a few bargains
with the local vendors by the beach.

The voices that will echo in my head for years to come...will say
"Paddle like you want it"....and "stand up! stand up!".....and as one
surf girl said so aptly.....this will be my "happy place" to conjure up
on dreary days. What an amazing place...what a great group of women to
share it with...and what a great way to celebrate my 21st (ha ha)
birthday!!!! When is the next Pura Vida girl surf reunion????
Sign me up! : )

5 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger badneck said...

I wonder if they need a cabana boy down there?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger PeconicPuffin said...

I like the war paint/sunscreen look!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Waterturtle said...

Very cool...will inspire my daughter for sure! The family and I are going to CR later this month....can't wait. Will give full report after we return.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Charles said...

Mac I'm very interested in your CR report. I've been thinking of do doing the CR trip with my family. I'm looking forward to this spring when my 14 daughter should be transitioning from riding the whitewater to more true waverides and my 11 year old daughter to being able to paddle in on her own all the time. Last year she still had me push her onto waves most of the time. I still can't get them to catch the windsurfing bug, but if I say we're going surfing they're in the truck in an instant.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Waterturtle said...

will do Charles....look out for a report in early April at http://thewaterturtle.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home