2009-01-13

Well, to Be Somewhere Else...

Today is literally one of those really crappy days weather-wise. Its raining, fairly cold, and quite miserable outside. The WindGuru outlook does not look too promising, except for cold. Its winter time, and the OBX is definitely not a winter-time destination, though at least there is no ice/snow forming on our rigs, yet?! Days like today do not find much to do other than wish you were somewhere else. Given the blog rounds, its easy to see why it would be nice to be on Maui right now. Makani's latest GoPro video, GP's action out there, or KP's latest reports really take us there, especially this time of year. Warm weather, water, and sunshine look quite inviting. Congrats to Andy who will be heading out there during the beginning of March to hit the Tabou line!

I will be holding down the fort locally this year as I did last year. Lauren scored with her Costa Rica all women's surf trip last winter. Perhaps, winter 2010 will take me somewhere?!

As for today, its one day closer to late May/June where at that time here on the OBX, I would not want to be anywhere else.

8 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger George Markopoulos said...

see, the way i look at is this: January is basically finished. you can blink, and its gonna be February. Stick with me. So basically, lets consider that its february today. That means, next month, it'll be march, and heck, march is spring time, especially for ya'll in the obx.

So basically, spring is next month.........

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger PeconicPuffin said...

Snow on the rigs is nothing...we're shut out up here now from ice on the water. Wish I'd caught that big southerly with you all...that sounded like a good day.

Despite my firm belief in global warming, this week we're not seeing it in New York (Friday's forecast calls for a high of 18F!)

When does wave sailing season start down there?

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Well, luckily the wavesailing season does not really start or end. Rather it "chills."

We go year round as long as the ocean water remains relatively warm (ideally above 50 degrees). It usually does, especially on the south facing beaches. Nice we have the Gulf Stream just offshore!

Though regarding Maui, what a place where you ride trunks only year round! No real change to the windsurfing season, except for perhaps surf size.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Acch! Bill, you're killing me!! One pissy rainy day and the whole world is ending for you!! Man oh man...

Let's look at last winter, for instance: I logged 14 windsurf days in January, 20 in February, and 18 in March! It's just starting to get good, for crying out loud!

But I hear ya, today sucks : ) lol!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Yea Andy true, my 2008 winter months (Jan - March) calendar does not look too bad either..., lots of days!

I guess I simply miss wearing my board trunks exposed to the warm Hatteras breezes! ; )

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Also missing the topless 4runner, and the warm open air afternoon rides though Pea Island to catch an evening sunset sesh in Salvo or Avon!

Ahhh, what a rainy, nasty winter OBX day makes you miss!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger PeconicPuffin said...

You guys are killing me...I'm worrying about my sails draining before the ice up in the garage!

LOL

Hoping to get down there sometime in the next few months

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I moved to Oahu from NC 10 years ago and still dream of the OBX... planning an April trip this year!

Ed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home